Local Information Leaflet December 2017

DEMENTIA FRIENDLY KENT WEBSITE -  http://dementiafriendlykent.org.uk/
KCC Highways Helpline             03000 418181 and select:
Option 1 - Driver Education and Speed Awareness
Option 2 - Vegetation Enquiries
Option 3 - Potholes
Option 4 - Street lights enquiries and problems (most village lights are KCC-owned)
Option 5 - Drainage problems
Option 6 - Any other items not covered above 
KCC Speed Awareness          03000 418282
KCC Concessionary Fares     03000 418383

KCC Kent Freedom Pass       03000 418484

KCC Main Number                   03000 414141  
Kent Highways Fault Reporting (easy to use on-line tool enabling you to report faults and pinpoint their location by postcode or on a map) 
Kent Public Rights of Way – To report any issues with public rights of way call 03000 41 71 71 (lines open 8am - 8pm Monday - Friday). In an emergency outside of these hours telephone 0300 333 55 38. Faults may also be reported via email prow@kent.gov.uk or by visiting the KCC website http://www.kent.gov.uk/environment_and_planning/countryside_access.aspx or by writing to Public Rights of Way and Access Service, 8 Abbeywood Road, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent ME19 4YT.
Maidstone Borough Council - 01622 602000 (Main Switchboard); website http://www.maidstone.gov.uk/            
- MBC Animal Welfare (Dog Warden) - 01622 602117
- MBC Bins and Recycling - 01622 602600
- MBC Environmental Enforcement (Fly-Tipping, Noise, Dog Mess) - 01622 602202
- MBC Street Cleaning - 01622 602162
- MBC Trees Information - 01622 602340
For all above services: e-mail customerservices@maidstone.gov.uk.  Many issues can be reported on-line at http://www.maidstone.gov.uk/residents/report.  They include fly-tipping, litter, missed bin collections, litter/dog bin problems, dog mess, stray dogs, dead animals, noise, graffiti, anti-social behaviour, pest problems and planning breaches.  
- MBC Planning - 01622 602736 or e-mail planningsupport@midkent.gov.uk
KCC Community Warden (Mira Martin) - 07969 584179 
Police - 999 for emergencies; 101 for non-emergencies and to contact the Police Community Support Officer
          - For information or to report non urgent issues on-line access the website at https://www.kent.police.uk/
Arriva Bus Service - 0871 2002233
Gas Emergency - 0800 111999 (free number)

UK Power Networks
A new national phone number “105” is available for customers to call should they need to report or obtain information about a power cut in their area. Key points to note about this service are:
  • Dialling 105 will put you through to your local electricity network operator, the company that manages the cables, power lines and substations that deliver electricity into homes and businesses in your area.
  • 105 is just one of the ways that you can contact your electricity network operator. There are other phone numbers and you can also contact them via their website (see below for details for UK Power Networks, the operator for our local region).
  • 105 is a free service in England, Scotland and Wales; you can call 105 no matter who you buy electricity from.
  • You can also call 105 if you spot damage to electricity power lines and substations that could put anyone in danger. If there is a serious immediate risk, you should call the emergency services too.
Phone from landline - 0800 31 63 105
Phone from mobile - 0333 32 32 105
Text POWER and your postcode to 80876
If you need or know someone who needs support during a power cut, find out about the Priority Services Register at http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/power-cuts/priority-services-during-a-power-cut/You can also email: PSR@ukpowernetworks.co.uk or call: 0800 169 9970.
For advice on keeping warm, achieving energy efficiency and reducing bills read UK Power Networks' advisory leaflet at http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/help-and-advice/documents/EE_leaflet.pdf.
South East Water - report a leak at http://www.southeastwater.co.uk/contact-us/report-a-leak or telephone 0333 000 3330.  For water supply queries and problems call 0333 000 0002 or in an out-of-hours emergency call 0333 000 0365.  For more information go to http://www.southeastwater.co.uk/contact-us/water-supply-enquiries.
Fire Hydrant Fault Reporting  - Email: water.services@kent.fire-uk.org
Telephone: 01622 692121 Ext. 2391
or write to : Water Services Department, Kent Fire & rescue Service HQ, The Godlands, Straw Mill Hill, Tovil, Maidstone ME15 6XB
Staplehurst Emergency Help Team - http://www.staplehurstvillage.org.uk/emergency_planning_team.aspx.  For life-threatening emergencies always call 999.  For voluntary support in non-life threatening emergencies contact the SEHT Group co-ordinator on 07517 383600.
Staplehurst Road InformationWe can all see the roads getting busier and seemingly more dangerous. We have all seen incidents of near misses or even collisions around the village. The Police do not record numbers of incidents unless serious injury occurs, meaning no one actually knows the full picture. This is where we need your help. The Parish Council would like to know if you see any vehicle related incidents. This includes collisions, near misses, speeding, dangerous parking or even abandoned cars. We aim to get a true picture of issues on our roads. If you see anything that you consider worth recording, please let us know via our new email address staplehurstroadinfo@gmail.com. Any information you can supply will be welcome. Locations, car types, number of people affected, pictures, anything. Once we start to build a picture we can start to specify the information needed. Whilst the email is the preferred method of contact we would welcome written submissions posted into the Parish Office letterbox. [reprinted from Village Update Spring 2017]